IL 47 at I-88 Interchange Improvement Project Receives Environmental Approval
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) has determined that the Illinois Department of Transportation’s proposed IL 47 at I-88 Interchange Improvement Project will have no significant impact on the human environment. The FHWA issued a Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) based on the Environmental Assessment (EA) prepared for the study. A FONSI is a brief document that concludes the process and documents the decision as to why an action will not have a significant impact on the environment.
The EA studied the proposed improvements to IL 47 including widening and reconstruction to provide two lanes in each direction separated by a median and proposed improvements to the interchange including providing access to and from the east.
The EA was conducted in accordance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) that requires that environmental impacts be fully considered for any project using federal funding. The NEPA process requires federal agencies to integrate environmental values into their decision-making process by considering the environmental impacts of their proposed actions and reasonable alternatives to these actions.
IDOT assessed the natural, built, and human environment to determine the extent of impacts that may arise from constructing and operating the project. Environmental factors such as air quality, wildlife, vegetation, water quality, wetlands, geology, neighborhoods, park/recreation areas, utilities, visual quality, and cultural resources were assessed.
Environmental Assessment (EA)
- A – NEPA/404 Merger Minutes and Concurrence Letters
- B – IL 47 Build Alternatives
- C – IL 47/I-88 Interchange Build Alternatives
- D – IL 47/I-88 Interchange Alternatives Carried Forward Bridge Typicals
- E part 1 – Environmental Surveys and Coordination
- E part 2 – Environmental Surveys and Coordination
- F – Illinois State Historic Preservation Officer Concurrence Letter
- G – Northern Long-Eared Bat Coordination; H – Public Involvement Meeting Minutes; I – Wetland Impact Exhibits